Ludlow Hunt Country
The Ludlow Hunt country lies in Shropshire, Herefordshire, and Worcestershire. It extends 20 miles north to south from Wenlock Edge to Leominster, and 20 miles west to east from Leintwardine to Cleobury Mortimer. There are several large areas of vale country – Corvedale, the Teme valley, and the area south of Tenbury Wells – as well as hill country on the western and northern sides.
The country was first hunted in the 1770s by Mr Childe of Kinlet, known as “Flying Childe”. It was officially recognized as the Ludlow Hunt in the 1840s, and in 1940 it absorbed the North Ludlow Hunt based at Downton Hall. The kennels have been located at Caynham for over 100 years, having moved there from Onibury in 1890.